On Thursday, Nov. 11th Arthur R. Miller, one of the nation’s most distinguished legal scholars and a renowned commentator on the law and society, will moderate a panel discussion on “Sports, Media and Race: The Impact on America.”
The panel will feature a group of participants with national, regional and local perspective and resonance, including Harry Edwards, emeritus professor of sociology at the University of California at Berkeley. Edwards is the author of “The Revolt of the Black Athlete” and architect of the Olympic Project for Human Rights, which led to the Black Power Salute protest by African-American athletes at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Edwards has taken vocal and dissonant positions on the relationship of African American athletes to American culture and has been a proponent of black participation in the management of professional sports.
The panel will also include:
* Otis Birdsong, four-time National Basketball Association all-star
* Bob Boland, professor of sports management and sports business at New York University
* Norm Hitzges, radio host at KTCK 1310 AM in Dallas
* Jane Leavy, author of “The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle”
* Ted Shaker, former executive producer of CBS Sports
* Craig Watkins, associate professor of radio-TV-film at The University of Texas at Austin
* Julius Whittier, Dallas County assistant district attorney and the first black athlete to letter in football at The University of Texas at Austin.
The dialogue will take place from 3:30 to 5pm in the Lyndon B. Johnson Auditorium at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum on The University of Texas at Austin campus. Free parking is available in lot 38. University maps are available online.
The event is sponsored by the Texas Program in Sports and Media, the College of Communication and the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum. It is free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: Erin Geisler, College of Communication, 512 475 8071, or Christopher Hart, 512-471-2431, christopher.hart at austin.utexas.edu.
IMAGE CREDIT: I (David Shankbone), the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following licenses: GNU head Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.